Manchester, United Kingdom
THG is a fast-moving, global technology business that specialises in taking brands direct to consumers. Our world-class proprietary tech and infrastructure powers our extensive portfolio of beauty, nutrition and lifestyle brands and is now helping drive exponential growth of our clients’ brands globally.
We’re powered by a global team of over 7,000 ambitious people around the world. Our culture is fast-paced and entrepreneurial, it’s this DNA that has supported our incredible growth.
We’re always looking for individuals that can bring fresh and innovative thinking to THG, and play a part in driving the group forward on its exciting journey. So, if you’re ready to take the next big step in your career, challenge yourself every day and evolve with the world around you, THG is ready for you.
What will I be doing?
Our SRE teams work across our Retail, Hosting, Cloud and Web Services group. The systems and platform we build are essential to our customers and internal teams for buying, provisioning and scaling our Web & Cloud Services. As an SRE you will be responsible for the design, development, and delivery of new features for all areas of technology across THG. Bringing together technologies, you will work both independently and as part of a team to provide highly available services critical to the business. Your duties will mainly consist of the following:
SRE tasks include:
- Develop new tooling and improve existing tooling as required to facilitate the usage of internal Kubernetes platform amongst other teams.
- Working in the SRE team you will help maintain and evangelise the internal Kubernetes platform. You will also manage the adoption process with various other teams and assist them as required.
- Keep up to date with the latest developments in Kubernetes and help shape how the latest advancements and best practices can be applied to the internal platform.
- Work independently to deliver large projects by liaising with the involved stakeholders.
- Mentor and advise other graduate software engineers in the team.
- Solve issues with mission critical internal services maintained by the SRE team
What would success in this role look like?
The role is varied and requires someone interested in a developing and tuning systems to push the limits. As such, success can look like many different things: better scalability or releases in our retail systems, better tooling for developers, enhanced monitoring that’s accessible across all of our clouds, zero-trust beyond-prod tools and the list goes on. Making systems highly reliable and provide best in class capabilities to our internal and external tech teams and customers means there are few limits to creating a positive impact.
What skills and experience would I need?
- An understanding of Micro Service Architecture
- Demonstrable knowledge of relational (SQL) and/or NoSQL databases
- Experience of programming using Golang (Go) and Python
- DevOps Technologies (Kubernetes, Docker, etc.)
- DevOps Tooling (Ansible, Terraform, Vault, etc.)
- Cloud Providers (OpenStack, AWS, GCP, etc.)
- Monitoring Technologies (Prometheus, Grafana, Dynatrace, etc.)
- Can explain the Infrastructure as Code paradigm along with IaaS, PaaS, SaaS
- Understands the fundamentals of change management and capacity planning
- Familiarity with Linux, as well as a good understanding of where Linux distributions and the kernel fit into wider solutions such as Kubernetes
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written. Ability to liaise between development and infrastructure teams, working closely with these teams to ensure that software meets security, SLA and performance needs
- An understanding of repository branching strategies, developing CI/CD processes and automated testing practices
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, agile work environment, within a team using Scrum or Kanban frameworks as required
- Hosting, cloud, or web services experience
- Cycle to work scheme
- Tech Scheme
- Staff discount to online shops and on-site staff shop
- Private on-site gym (Manchester)
- Season ticket loan
- Enhanced parenthood pay
- Pension scheme contributions
- Birthday off
- 25 days annual leave + bank holidays (from Jan 2024)
- Up to 2 weeks compassionate leave
- Employee Assistance programme
- On-site doctor
- In House L&D Team for personal development / upskill
Because of the high volumes of applications our opportunities attract, it sometimes takes us time to review and consider them all. We endeavour to respond to every application we receive within 14 days. If you haven't heard from us within that time frame or should you have any specific questions about this or other applications for positions at THG please contact one of our Talent team to discuss further.
THG is committed to creating a diverse & inclusive environment and hence welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
Apply for this job