Software Engineer (Front End/Full Stack)
Manchester, United Kingdom
THG is a fast-moving, global technology business that specialises in taking brands direct to consumers. Our world-class proprietary tech and infrastructure powers our extensive portfolio of beauty, nutrition and lifestyle brands and is now helping drive exponential growth of our clients’ brands globally.
We’re powered by a global team of over 10,000 ambitious people around the world. Our culture is fast-paced and entrepreneurial, it’s this DNA that has supported our incredible growth.
We’re always looking for individuals that can bring fresh and innovative thinking to THG, and play a part in driving the group forward on its exciting journey. So, if you’re ready to take the next big step in your career, challenge yourself every day and evolve with the world around you, THG is ready for you.
This document outlines the key activities and responsibilities of the role of a Software Engineer (Front-End) within the THG Worldwide Logistics team.
THG / Worldwide Logistics
The Worldwide Logistics team owns the automation of logistics processes such as demand, freight, and bulk orders. The Worldwide Logistics team works closely with the Data Science teams to innovate software for end-to-end integrated logistics management as well as route, cost, and space optimisation.
Working on mostly greenfield projects, the Worldwide Logistics engineering team use the latest, best-in-breed tools and technologies to develop, build, deploy and host the software.
A Software Engineer (Front-End) has a range of software engineering experience with the emphasis on user interface and a passion for improving user experience. They have a strong, demonstrable ability in software development and are up to date with technologies and their usage and application in a fast-moving, agile engineering team. They are capable of and enjoy learning about a wide range of technologies through reading and research and using that to design and build solutions incorporating those technologies.
A Software Engineer (Front-End) will work as part of a focused, full stack engineering team to build, maintain, improve, and innovate for the Worldwide Logistics team.
The team is responsible for the planning, estimation and execution of software improvements and innovation of the products we own. The engineers are also responsible for the full stack of technology used to deliver the Worldwide Logistics software and will work closely with other engineering teams, business stakeholders, project, and support teams.
Skills and Abilities
Key skills and experience
- Previous experience working in a front-end role
- Experience and good understanding of
- HTML + CSS
- Browsers and browser testing
- UI architecture, components, and UI data flow
- Building, packaging and deploying front-end projects
The Software Engineer (Front-End) will also have experience, expertise and/or training in some of the following:
- Software testing practices, good-practice, and the implementation thereof
- Software build tools and pipelines
- Successfully managing, designing, and delivering technical change
- Debugging issues in all layers of a system
- Confidently able to conduct code reviews
- Communicating with and training others in complex technical scenarios
- Understanding and complying with application security standards
- Use and implementation of technologies such as:
- Spring Boot
- GitHub Actions/Jenkins
- Message brokers such as ActiveMQ/RabbitMQ
- SQL databases such as Cockroach DB/MSSQL
- NoSQL databases such as Couchbase
- Measuring and monitoring tools such as Prometheus, Grafana, ELK Stack
- Event-driven architecture
Behaviours and Attributes
The Software Engineer (Front-End) should have or should demonstrate many of the following attributes and behaviours:
- A positive and active member of the team able to be a role model to peers
- A good understanding of and able and willing to learn more about the wider business
- Confidently express opinions and suggestions backed up with facts and able to debate with professionalism around difference in opinions. Ultimately resulting in the agreement on the best solution
- Instigate change through research and fact-based discussion
- Ability to prioritise their own work and negotiate professionally with stakeholders on acceptance or pushback of requirements
- Willingness to learn outside of their core skill set
- Mentor and coach less experienced colleagues
- Technically inquisitive and aware of emerging technologies
- Show initiative in self-study and learning around relevant topics
- Spike investigations and proof of concepts to propose production use of recent technologies and techniques
- Good communications skills where the content and the audience are technical
Opening date: 18th May 2023
Closing date: 2nd June 2023
Because of the high volumes of applications our opportunities attract, it sometimes takes us time to review and consider them all. We endeavour to respond to every application we receive within 14 days. If you haven't heard from us within that time frame or should you have any specific questions about this or other applications for positions at THG please contact one of our Talent team to discuss further.
THG is committed to creating a diverse & inclusive environment and hence welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
Apply for this job