Senior Software Engineer - Java
THG is a fast-moving, global technology business that specialises in taking brands direct to consumers. Our world-class proprietary tech and infrastructure powers our extensive portfolio of beauty, nutrition and lifestyle brands and is now helping drive exponential growth of our clients’ brands globally.
We’re powered by a global team of over 7,000 ambitious people around the world. Our culture is fast-paced and entrepreneurial, it’s this DNA that has supported our incredible growth.
We’re always looking for individuals that can bring fresh and innovative thinking to THG, and play a part in driving the group forward on its exciting journey. So, if you’re ready to take the next big step in your career, challenge yourself every day and evolve with the world around you, THG is ready for you.
eCRM is the team responsible for the services behind every aspect of customer relationship management, intelligently reaching customers across the globe by utilising Ingenuity, THG’s proprietary technology platform. It houses all customer communication across email, SMS, mobile app/push notifications and referral schemes in one platform which can be designed and customised as per clients’ needs.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer who will work as part of the engineering team to maintain, improve, build and innovate our self-service CRM platform. Our vision is to become best-in-class – allowing clients to orchestrate highly personalised communications to their customers, at the right place, at the right time, and at scale. Currently, the product serves our clients and our own brands on our Ingenuity platform, and we have ambitions for this to become a standalone product. THG sends over 7 billion emails a year (growing >50% year on year) as well as SMS and push notifications for mobile apps.
You will be responsible for the planning and development of new software deliverables in this project. You must have a strong, proven ability in software development and be up-to-date with modern technologies in a fast-moving, agile engineering team of around 5 FTE engineers. You should enjoy independently learning about a wide range of technologies through reading and research and using that to design and build solutions incorporating those technologies. This role will also have standard firefighting responsibilities and an on-call. An ideal candidate will be comfortable observing BAU and designing strategies for automation as we aim to make the team’s responsibilities more streamlined and efficient.
Skills and Abilities
An ideal candidate will have experience in many of the following:
- Java 11+ and associated tech and libraries, including microservice frameworks such as Spring/Spring Boot
- Understanding of the CRM domain in eCommerce
- Comfortable managing competing priorities from different stakeholders
- Successfully managed, designed and delivered technical change to improve BAU processes
- A track record of system architecture and design, including strong, demonstrable project ownership is highly desirable
- Infrastructure as Code and DevOps skills
- Strong debugging and code review skills
- Strong software testing principles
- Mentoring others in complex technical scenarios
- Software build tools and pipelines. Jenkins/Github build pipelines are a plus
Use and implementation of technologies such as:
- Relational (SQL Server/CockroachDB), NoSQL databases (Couchbase/Redis), and Google BigQuery
- Experience designing and building high-traffic RESTful APIs
- Queueing mechanisms (we use ActiveMQ, similar experience with Kafka/RabbitMQ also applicable)
- Testing frameworks (Junit/Wiremock or similar)
- Some working knowledge of React would also be favourable but not required
Behaviours and Attributes
The candidate should have many of the following attributes and behaviours:
- A positive and active member of the team able to be a technical mentor and role model to peers
- Ownership over engineering projects and processes with a proactive, self-starting mindset
- Ability to prioritise their own work and negotiate professionally with stakeholders on acceptance or pushback of requirements
- Ability to confidently express technical opinions and debate with professionalism around differences of opinions
- A good understanding of the wider business
- Show initiative in self-study and learning around relevant topics
- Spike investigations and proof of concepts to propose production use of new technologies and techniques
- Good communications skills to technical and non-technical stakeholders
What's in it for me?
- Bonus & Pension Scheme
- Enhanced maternity and paternity leave
- Build solutions using the latest technology & freedom to use the latest technologies
- Opportunity to make a real impact in the business
- Clear progression opportunities, lots of our engineers have moved into Principal/Lead/Manager/Director roles
- Work alongside genuine industry experts
- Continuous development through THG Academy, our in-house L&D team
- Staff discounts on THG brands and Hale Country Club
- On-site doctor, physio and barber
- Competitive Salary
Because of the high volumes of applications our opportunities attract, it sometimes takes us time to review and consider them all. We endeavour to respond to every application we receive within 14 days. If you haven't heard from us within that time frame or should you have any specific questions about this or other applications for positions at THG please contact one of our Talent team to discuss further.
THG is committed to creating a diverse & inclusive environment and hence welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
Apply for this job