Senior Network Engineer - Hosting
Manchester, United Kingdom
THG is a fast-moving, global technology business that specialises in taking brands direct to consumers. Our world-class proprietary tech and infrastructure powers our extensive portfolio of beauty, nutrition and lifestyle brands and is now helping drive exponential growth of our clients’ brands globally.
We’re powered by a global team of over 7,000 ambitious people around the world. Our culture is fast-paced and entrepreneurial, it’s this DNA that has supported our incredible growth.
We’re always looking for individuals that can bring fresh and innovative thinking to THG, and play a part in driving the group forward on its exciting journey. So, if you’re ready to take the next big step in your career, challenge yourself every day and evolve with the world around you, THG is ready for you.
Tech at THG
Technology is the driving force behind THG, and it starts with our people. We are ambitious with our goals and challenge conventional thinking. THG Technology is different because we support every single person to make massive impact and drive their own work. Our people are always learning, and we work every day to ensure our technology, from our software platforms, to our hosting services, to our M.L capability and beyond, is world class. This enables us to keep powering THG and our partners on a global scale.
About the Network team and Your Role
As a function of the Global Infrastructure Services department, the Network team is charged with designing, operating and maintaining global network infrastructure as well as public and private network connectivity for the Group. Services are broadly categorized into Data Centre networking, Global Connectivity, Product Development, Enterprise networking and Customer Operations.
Reporting directly to the Principal Network Engineer (Hosting), the role is responsible for ongoing technical development and delivery of the THG hosting network infrastructures and associated services across the Group.
- Take responsibility for the technical development, implementation and maintenance of enterprise-grade hosting / service provider networking infrastructures globally.
- Develop deep technical skills and become subject matter expert (SME) in enterprise-grade networking tech stack – e.g., high-end switching/routing, VXLAN, Cumulus Linux, Cisco Nexus, L2/L3 MPLS, Firewalling, BGP, switching fabrics.
- Continually learn new technologies and approaches, seeking best-practice implementations for THG to improve network reliability, quality, automation and cost-efficiency. Promote sharing of this with all team mates to evangelize new approaches.
- Ensure hosting / service provider networks are scalable, fit-for-purpose and robust, underpinning and supporting mission critical infrastructure for THG’s bare metal hosting customers.
- With a focus on what customer success looks like, aim to ensure network services are designed to support a variety of customer workloads at high resiliency.
- Collaborate with peers and colleagues across the business to produce both short- and mid-term plans for the network technology stack. This includes regular maintenance activities such as software upgrades and audits.
- Share the experience and mentor network operation teams on the networking technology.
- Participate in the network on-call schedule with colleagues between the UK and US to ensure mission critical services have appropriate operational and/or escalation-level support.
- Solid knowledge of relevant DC, WAN, Switching, Fabric and IP MPLS, including but not limited to:
- Leaf, Spine, Super-Spine Clos architectures with both VLAN/STP as well as BGP-EVPN/VXLAN modes of operation
- Network Technologies based on Ethernet switching (VLAN/STP), routing (BGP, static routing, OSPF) and overlay (EVPN/VXLAN)
- High performance WAN and IP MPLS technologies
- Security, VPN and WAN routing technologies and associated protocols, load-balancing (SD-WAN, firewalls, WAF, L4/L7 load balancing MPLS, BGP etc.)
- Transit and peering technologies and vendors such as LINX at speeds 100G and above.
- Hands-on experience configuring the following products
- Ethernet/IP switching products devices from Cisco, Arista and Cumulus Linux
- Experience with Mellanox and disaggregated network operating systems (NOS) such as Cumulus Linux and SONiC would be advantageous.
- Security/firewalling products from Fortinet (specifically FortiGate and/or Cisco ASA)
- IP MPLS backbone products from Juniper Networks
- Experience in network automation techniques with Python and/or Ansible with version control systems such as Git is essential. This will preferably include exposure to REST APIs, NETCONF, gNMI, etc.
- Exposure to Linux administration and docker containers would be advantageous.
- Understanding of monitoring requirements and hands-on knowledge of open-source monitoring tools (e.g., LibreNMS, InfluxDB/Grafana).
- Occasional travel to work in remote sites/locations as required by the business.
- Desire to learn and deepen personal knowledge of networking technology.
- “Make-it-happen” attitude and ownership to all activities.
What's in it for me?
- Competitive salary
- Building solutions using the latest technology
- Work alongside genuine industry experts
- Being a part of the biggest audio visual fit outs planned across the UK and Europe
- Continuous development through THG Academy, our in-house L&D team
- Staff discounts on THG brands and Hale Country Club
- On-site doctor, physio and barber
Because of the high volumes of applications our opportunities attract, it sometimes takes us time to review and consider them all. We endeavour to respond to every application we receive within 14 days. If you haven't heard from us within that time frame or should you have any specific questions about this or other applications for positions at THG please contact one of our Talent team to discuss further.
THG is committed to creating a diverse & inclusive environment and hence welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
Apply for this job