Project Controls Manager (THG PMO)
Icon 1, M90 5AA
THG is a fast-moving, global technology business that specialises in taking brands direct to consumers. Our world-class proprietary tech and infrastructure powers our extensive portfolio of beauty, nutrition and lifestyle brands and is now helping drive exponential growth of our clients’ brands globally.
We’re powered by a global team of over 7,000 ambitious people around the world. Our culture is fast-paced and entrepreneurial, it’s this DNA that has supported our incredible growth.
We’re always looking for individuals that can bring fresh and innovative thinking to THG, and play a part in driving the group forward on its exciting journey. So, if you’re ready to take the next big step in your career, challenge yourself every day and evolve with the world around you, THG is ready for you.
Location: Icon 1, M90 5AA
About Central Functions
Central Functions is formed of the teams and people that serve the entire business. These people are integral to the smooth running of the business; ensuring everyone is paid on time, that materials are sourced and arrive promptly, that we meet our legal obligations and that our health, safety, and security is safeguarded.
About the Role
Reporting into the Group Project Director and working within the THG PMO (Project Management Office) you will coordinate, control and manage multiple engineering, technical manufacturing and infrastructure projects across an extensive and varied portfolio. You will be responsible for both Planning and Cost Engineering across the portfolio, reporting health both within the department and to senior stakeholder/sponsors within the business and executive team, demonstrating clear governance and accuracy.
- Responsible for the full Project Controls function across a portfolio in excess of £100m per annum of Capital Investment Projects, ranging disciplines of engineering, manufacturing, infrastructure and hospitality. (Circa 20>30 Projects per year)
- Create, develop and maintain both cost and work breakdown structures (CBS/WBS) across a portfolio of live and emerging works, monitoring against specific KPI’s/budgets which can be tracked per project and as a portfolio
- Develop and maintain a department dashboard of key information, which can automate reporting and the status of all projects on request or on an agreed frequency.
- Prepare EOM cost reports and project schedule health checks for the Group Project Director, reporting formally on a monthly basis to central finance functions on Project specific CAPEX spend
- Define processes and requirements for the PM’s to ensure they provide the right level of detail and update their specific cash flow / expenditure forecasts / Estimates at Completion (EAC), finally reporting on Earned Value Management (EVM)
- Validate per period the variances across the portfolio in relation to planned and actual accruals, providing health warnings to Project Managers where applicable before month end, maintaining an agreed CPI per period as a portfolio
- Ensure the Project Controls Department continue to cost monitor and report any sub-contractor invoices in dispute or in delay, advising the Project Managers of actions required to resolve (Finance system interface - Procure)
- Create where needed, then manage the portfolio of schedules, ensuring all direct project schedules between internals and externals are linked to calculate the health of our portfolio at any given point (SPI) – Asta PowerProject currently in use, however P6 will be considered
- Coordinate with direct reports the frequency and experctation of weekly updates to schedules with the Project Managesrs, to ensure there is consistency and standards achieved across all documents, regardless of project sizeWeekly updates to programmes and reports including milestone and cost variation updates
- Adhere to internal and industry recognised project governance, cost standards and procedures.
- Mentor direct reports within the department and support others within the business as required or as part of both their own and the roles CPD
- Support the Group Projects Director to deliver and promote strategic delivery via internal processes and an internationally recognised Project Management model across the business
- Promote a professional working culture and ethic within the THG PMO department
- 5+ years’ experience managing Cost Engineering and Planning Engineering aspects across multi-disciplinary large scale projects
- 5+ years’ experience in financial and schedule controls, reporting to varying levels of management, within a fast moving and dynamic environment
- Professional membership in your area of expertise
- Extensive knowledge of cost control/reporting techniques & methods, contract terms & conditions related to cost, payments, penalties, insurances, guarantees & similar items and physical progress measurement system.
- Experience in preparing and working through departmental and divisional internal audits and external audits
- Quantify cost implications of emerging / additional project work and feed into relevant documentation (e.g. change control documentation)
- Monitor portfolio contingency and efficiencies, liaising with Project Team members regarding contingency management
- Lead the internal PMO process for preparing corporate tax and capital allowance returns, with an understanding of financial accounting to support ROI and impact calculations for new projects
- Extensive knowledge of Asta Power Project or P6 (Microsoft Project used rarely) and the ability to create, manage and monitor complex schedules on an individual basis or as part of a linked portfolio
- Ability to both cost and resource load schedules for reporting purposes, maintaining them as work progresses through RIBA stages on projects within the portfolio
- Experience in coaching direct reports and developing them against a structured training framework to support their CPD
- Ability to manage own workload, travel and site works to meet deadlines and associated project/portfolio requirements
- Strong I.T. Skills - Able to operate at high competence level in MS Office suite, particularly PowerPoint, Word, Excel and Microsoft Project
- Ability to present project updates, and chair stakeholder forums which may also include audiences at business executive level
- Hold internal and external people accountable and responsible for their elements of a project – peers, contractors, suppliers
Appreciation of the below would be advantageous:
- CSCS Holder (Some site work/visits)
- IOSH (Some site work/visits)
- CDM (Some site work/visits)
- Familiar with working under NEC3/4 & JCT contracts
- A relevant project management or project control qualification
- Competitive salary
- Onsite Doctor
- Employee discounts
- Gym Discounts
- Company bonus scheme
- Company pension scheme
THG is proud to be a Disability Confident Committed employer. If you are invited to interview, please let us know if there are any reasonable adjustments we can make to the recruitment process that will enable you to perform to the best of your ability.
Because of the high volumes of applications our opportunities attract, it sometimes takes us time to review and consider them all. We endeavour to respond to every application we receive within 14 days. If you haven't heard from us within that time frame or should you have any specific questions about this or other applications for positions at THG please contact one of our Talent team to discuss further.
THG is committed to creating a diverse & inclusive environment and hence welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
Apply for this job