Project Controls Manager (Major Projects Cost & Planning PMO)
Icon 1, M90 5AA
THG is a fast-moving, global technology business that specialises in taking brands direct to consumers. Our world-class proprietary tech and infrastructure powers our extensive portfolio of beauty, nutrition and lifestyle brands and is now helping drive exponential growth of our clients’ brands globally.
We’re powered by a global team of over 10,000 ambitious people around the world. Our culture is fast-paced and entrepreneurial, it’s this DNA that has supported our incredible growth.
We’re always looking for individuals that can bring fresh and innovative thinking to THG, and play a part in driving the group forward on its exciting journey. So, if you’re ready to take the next big step in your career, challenge yourself every day and evolve with the world around you, THG is ready for you.
About Central Functions
Central Functions is formed of the teams and people that serve the entire business. These people are integral to the smooth running of the business; ensuring everyone is paid on time, that materials are sourced and arrive promptly, that we meet our legal obligations and that our health, safety, and security is safeguarded.
About the Role
Reporting into the Group Project Director and working within the THG Projects Team (PMO), you will lead the Project Controls function, ensuring both Cost and Planning controls are effectively managed developed further over time, delivering multi-discipline projects across an extensive portfolio alongside the responsible Project Managers. You will be responsible for the cost engineering, planning engineering and the associated governance expected within a Project Controls function covering Major Projects, Engineering Projects and Manufacturing Projects.
- Responsible for the full Project Controls function across a portfolio in excess of £100m per annum of Capital Investment Projects that have been approved by the Group Project Director. (Circa 20>30 Projects per year)
- Create, develop and maintain both cost and work breakdown structures (CBS/WBS) across the portfolio of live and emerging works, monitoring against specific KPI’s/budgets which can be tracked per project and as a portfolio
- Prepare monthly cost reports and project specific health checks for the Project Director as required, reporting formally on a monthly basis to central finance functions
- Assist the PM’s in the production and update of cash flow / expenditure forecasts Estimates at Completion (EAC), then additional reports on Earned Value Management (EVM)
- Validate per period the variances across the portfolio in relation to planned and actual accruals, providing health warnings to Project Managers where applicable before month end
- Cost monitoring and reporting of sub consultant invoices and advising the Project Managers of payments due/outstanding (Finance system interface - Procure)
- Create where needed, then manage the portfolio of schedules, ensuring all direct project schedules between internals and externals are linked to calculate the health of our portfolio at any given point (SPI)
- Weekly updates to programmes and reports including milestone and cost variation updates
- Adhere to internal and industry recognised project governance, cost standards and procedures.
- Mentor other members within the department and business as required as part of both their own and the roles CPD
- Promote a professional working culture and ethic within the THG Projects department
- 3+ years experience managing Cost Engineering and Planning Engineering aspects across multi-disciplinary large scale projects
- 3+ years experience in financial and schedule controls, reporting to varying levels of management, with experience in a fast moving and dynamic environment (Construction / e-commerce desirable)
- Professional membership in your area of expertise (APM/PCI)
- Extensive knowledge of cost control/reporting techniques & methods, contract terms & conditions related to cost, payments, penalties, insurances, guarantees & similar items and physical progress measurement system.
- Experience in preparing and working through departmental and divisional internal audits and external audits
- Quantify cost implications of emergent / additional project work and feed into relevant documentation (e.g. change control documentation);
- Monitor contingency requirements and liaise with Project Team regarding contingency management
- Understanding of the process for preparing corporate tax and capital allowance returns
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Project and the ability to create, manage and monitor complex schedules on an individual basis or as part of a linked portfolio (Asta PowerProject is the preference longer term)
- Ability to both cost and resource load schedules for reporting purposes, maintaining them as work progresses through RIBA stages on construction bias projects within the portfolio
- Experience in coaching direct reports and developing them against a structured training framework to support their growth
- Ability to manage own workload, travel and site works to meet deadlines and associated project/portfolio requirements
- Advanced user of Microsoft Office – Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Outlook, including V lookups, pivot tables and macros
- Confidence to present and chair weekly meetings, which will also include delivering updates to the relevant Project Managers and the Group Projects Director
Appreciation of the below would be advantageous:
- Advanced user of Asta PowerProject and/or P6
- Familiar with working under NEC3/4 & JCT contracts
- A relevant project management or project control qualification
- Competitive salary
- Onsite Doctor
- Employee discounts
- Gym Discounts
- Company bonus scheme
- Company pension scheme
THG is proud to be a Disability Confident Committed employer. If you are invited to interview, please let us know if there are any reasonable adjustments we can make to the recruitment process that will enable you to perform to the best of your ability.
Because of the high volumes of applications our opportunities attract, it sometimes takes us time to review and consider them all. We endeavour to respond to every application we receive within 14 days. If you haven't heard from us within that time frame or should you have any specific questions about this or other applications for positions at THG please contact one of our Talent team to discuss further.
THG is committed to creating a diverse & inclusive environment and hence welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
Apply for this job