Principal Network Engineer - Connectivity
Manchester, United Kingdom
THG is a fast-moving, global technology business that specialises in taking brands direct to consumers. Our world-class proprietary tech and infrastructure powers our extensive portfolio of beauty, nutrition and lifestyle brands and is now helping drive exponential growth of our clients’ brands globally.
We’re powered by a global team of over 7,000 ambitious people around the world. Our culture is fast-paced and entrepreneurial, it’s this DNA that has supported our incredible growth.
We’re always looking for individuals that can bring fresh and innovative thinking to THG, and play a part in driving the group forward on its exciting journey. So, if you’re ready to take the next big step in your career, challenge yourself every day and evolve with the world around you, THG is ready for you.
Tech at THG
Technology is the driving force behind THG, and it starts with our people. We are ambitious with our goals and challenge conventional thinking. THG Technology is different because we support every single person to make massive impact and drive their own work. Our people are always learning, and we work every day to ensure our technology, from our software platforms, to our hosting services, to our M.L capability and beyond, is world class. This enables us to keep powering THG and our partners on a global scale.
About the Network team and Your Role
As a function of the Global Infrastructure Services department, the Network team is charged with designing, operating and maintaining global network infrastructure as well as public and private network connectivity for the Group. Services are broadly categorized into Data Centre networking, Global Connectivity, Product Development, Enterprise networking and Customer Operations.
Reporting directly to the Head of Networks, the role is responsible for ongoing technical development and delivery of the THG international IP/MPLS backbone infrastructure as well as global public and private connectivity services.
- Take responsibility for the technical development, implementation and maintenance of IP/MPLS backbone network infrastructure and associated services, public and private peering, IP transit and traffic engineering.
- Develop and maintain peering relationships, global peering strategy and maintain connectivity to select peering networks.
- Develop deep technical skills and become subject matter expert (SME) in service provider technology stack including but not limited to data centre interconnect architectures (e.g. optical/wavelength services), IP/MPLS forwarding, BGP-based services (Layer 2 and Layer 3 Virtual Private Networks) and network analytics.
- Ensure data centre interconnect and connectivity architectures are scalable, fit-for-purpose and robust, underpinning and supporting mission critical workloads such that they can run anywhere within the network.
- With a focus on what customer success looks like, aim to ensure THG global connectivity services support a variety of customer workloads.
- Collaborate with peers and colleagues across the business to produce both short- and mid-term plans for the IP/MPLS backbone network and associated connectivity services. This includes regular maintenance such as software upgrades, audits and capacity planning changes.
- Define use cases for automation within the IP/MPLS space, collaborating with automation colleagues to define their
- Day-to-day supervision of a small team of network engineers, enabling you to execute to plan and deliver both internal and business-sponsored projects on time.
- Participate in the network on-call schedule with colleagues between the UK and US to ensure mission critical services have appropriate operational and/or escalation-level support.
- Solid knowledge of service provider networking technologies and protocols:
- Detailed understanding of connectivity products (IP transit, public/private peering, DCI, dark fiber, alien lambda, L2/L3 MPLS VPNs).
- Egress traffic engineering based on BGP, and internal traffic engineering based on SR-TE
- Monitoring with SNMP and NetFlow in general with Kentik is essential. Working with streaming telemetry would be an advantage.
- Designing, implementation and support DDoS mitigation technologies with RTBH and FlowSpec.
- Thorough understanding and hands-on experience with ISIS, MPLS forwarding based on Segment-Routing, MP-BGP and route reflectors.
- Hands-on experience configuring the following products:
- IP/MPLS products from Juniper and Cisco is essential, Arista would be advantageous.
- DDoS detection and mitigation platforms from Kentik, Arbor, GTT and Cloudflare.
- Traffic engineering controllers would be an advantage (e.g., Juniper NorthStar, Open Daylight).
- Commercial experience navigating contractual negotiations with national and international network carriers balancing cost with THG growth and expansion.
- Experience in a peering coordinator role to maintain global peering relationships
- Experience in network automation techniques with Python and/or Ansible with version control systems such as Git is essential. This will preferably include exposure to REST APIs, NETCONF, gNMI, etc.
- Exposure to Linux administration and docker containers would be advantageous.
- Occasional travel to work in remote sites/locations as required by the business.
- Desire to learn and deepen personal knowledge of networking technology.
- “Make-it-happen” attitude and ownership to all activities.
What's in it for me?
- Competitive salary
- Building solutions using the latest technology
- Work alongside genuine industry experts
- Being a part of the biggest audio visual fit outs planned across the UK and Europe
- Continuous development through THG Academy, our in-house L&D team
- Staff discounts on THG brands and Hale Country Club
- On-site doctor, physio and barber
Because of the high volumes of applications our opportunities attract, it sometimes takes us time to review and consider them all. We endeavour to respond to every application we receive within 14 days. If you haven't heard from us within that time frame or should you have any specific questions about this or other applications for positions at THG please contact one of our Talent team to discuss further.
THG is committed to creating a diverse & inclusive environment and hence welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
Apply for this job