Group Technical Manager (FMCG)
THG is a fast-moving, global technology business that specialises in taking brands direct to consumers. Our world-class proprietary tech and infrastructure powers our extensive portfolio of beauty, nutrition and lifestyle brands and is now helping drive exponential growth of our clients’ brands globally.
We’re powered by a global team of over 7,000 ambitious people around the world. Our culture is fast-paced and entrepreneurial, it’s this DNA that has supported our incredible growth.
We’re always looking for individuals that can bring fresh and innovative thinking to THG, and play a part in driving the group forward on its exciting journey. So, if you’re ready to take the next big step in your career, challenge yourself every day and evolve with the world around you, THG is ready for you.
Location: Icon 1, M90 5AA
About Central Functions
Central Functions is formed of the teams and people that serve the entire business. These people are integral to the smooth running of the business; ensuring everyone is paid on time, that materials are sourced and arrive promptly, that we meet our legal obligations and that our health, safety, and security is safeguarded.
About the Role
Reporting into the Group Project Director and working within the THG PMO (Project Management Office) you will lead all technical projects across engineering, technical manufacturing and infrastructure projects within an extensive and varied portfolio. You will be responsible for establishing specifications, testing criteria and support as the Technical lead the full project lifecycle, alongside a team of Technical Managers and Project Managers.
- Create and develop manufacturing system and processes to achieve business aspirations and goals, working alongside both internal and external groups to deliver complex installations. Specifically you will be within a FMCG environment, delivering predominantly within our own internal food manufacturing business units, across multiple brands which include MyP.
- Manage and lead the New Product Introduction post testing by our own internal NPD department, delivering through established methodology such as PFMEA & DFM
- Clearly document processes, SOP’s and analyse lean opportunities to support the new equipment introduction, working with our experienced operational management teams.
- Identify lean production and efficiency improvement opportunities, taking a lead in how these are presented back to stakeholders for review and endorsement.
- Identify, implement and update/modify manufacturing processes to fulfill business needs as new products are introduced within manufacturing areas, across multiple brands and site locations. Collaborate with manufacturing operations to continuously improve systems in use across production, maintenance and design aspects
- Provide specific detail to inform business CAPEX requests, detailing the expenditure associated with equipment, that will support the divisional requestors business case based on cost and improvement detail you supply. Collaborate with internal and external advanced engineering and equipment suppliers/partners to agree designs and methodology for new that comply with international and company regulations, specifications and quality standards.
- Budget ownership and precision cost control, ensuring relevant tendering and procurement processes are followed. All variations need to be managed and presented for acceptance prior to inclusion in adherence with THG’s CAPEX investment process (CPI measurements)
- Ensure that projects are delivered in line with expectations in terms of scheduling. All variations need to be managed and presented for acceptance prior to inclusion (SPI measurements)
- Set and agree with direct reports (Where applicable) realistic targets to ensure projects are delivered effectively and efficiently, ensuring a development and training plan for each team member. Ensure that at the start of any project, a clear responsibility matrix is agreed with all internal operational and engineering groups, assigning the correct level of accountability to each and to ensure a smooth handover process is achieved on completion of any specific CAPEX project.
- Facilitate the generation and formal sign off of scope, then any change management via a recognised Change Control process model
- Lead conceptual design workshops, demonstrating strong stakeholder management across all disciplines to ensure focus remains to the project scope, limiting deviation outside of the change control processes
- Prepare, own and manage project schedules, cost estimates and project documentation as required, working alongside the team Project Planning Engineer
- Manage multiple internal and external contractor teams through installation, testing and commissioning of all infrastructure and equipment related to the projects that you are responsible for, ensuring all documentation is prepared for a Stage 6>7 handover to end users
- Embed and champion best practice through the introduction of relevant Standards, Specifications, Procedures and Practices
- Instigate and manage efficiently all post project activities through close-out which will also include the relevant LFE sessions
- Support the Group Projects Director to deliver and promote strategic delivery via internal processes and an internationally recognised Project Management model across the business
- Promote a professional working culture and ethic within the THG PMO department
- A degree in an Engineering (Mech/Elec), Process or Manufacturing discipline
- Experienced in project management and the implementation of multiple complex projects in parallel within a portfolio
- A clear understanding of the E2E Project Management process
- Ability to lead and demonstrate techniques such as problem solving, 5S, SMED, Kaizen, Change Management, TQM, EDP, establishing SAT/FAT criteria and commissioning reports
- Experience of developing and installing new equipment and systems to accommodate NPD requirements within live manufacturing environments, specifically automated solutions and robotics
- Ability and confidence to achieve challenging deadlines, handle conflict effectively and manage frequent interruption based on the dynamic and fast paced business culture
- Professional membership, leading towards imminent Chartered status in your area of specialism
- Strong experience in cross functional stakeholder management in highly complex and diverse projects, with a high degree of autonomy
- Strong I.T. Skills - Able to operate at high competence level in MS Office suite, particularly PowerPoint, Word, Excel and Microsoft Project
- Ability to present project updates, and chair stakeholder forums which may also include audiences at business executive level
- Hold internal and external people accountable and responsible for their elements of a project – peers, contractors, suppliers
Appreciation of the below would be advantageous:
- IOSH Managing Safely
- Competitive salary
- Onsite Doctor
- Employee discounts
- Gym Discounts
- Company bonus scheme
- Company pension scheme
THG is proud to be a Disability Confident Committed employer. If you are invited to interview, please let us know if there are any reasonable adjustments we can make to the recruitment process that will enable you to perform to the best of your ability.
Because of the high volumes of applications our opportunities attract, it sometimes takes us time to review and consider them all. We endeavour to respond to every application we receive within 14 days. If you haven't heard from us within that time frame or should you have any specific questions about this or other applications for positions at THG please contact one of our Talent team to discuss further.
THG is committed to creating a diverse & inclusive environment and hence welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
Apply for this job