Engineering Manager - Payments
Manchester, United Kingdom (remote)
THG is a fast-moving, global technology business that specialises in taking brands direct to consumers. Our world-class proprietary tech and infrastructure powers our extensive portfolio of beauty, nutrition and lifestyle brands and is now helping drive exponential growth of our clients’ brands globally.
We’re powered by a global team of over 7,000 ambitious people around the world. Our culture is fast-paced and entrepreneurial, it’s this DNA that has supported our incredible growth.
We’re always looking for individuals that can bring fresh and innovative thinking to THG, and play a part in driving the group forward on its exciting journey. So, if you’re ready to take the next big step in your career, challenge yourself every day and evolve with the world around you, THG is ready for you.
What will I be doing?
As part of our business growth strategy, we are prioritizing the advancement of THG's best-in-class Payment's platform. This platform plays a pivotal role in shaping the future of digital payments. To lead this exciting journey, we are seeking an Engineering Manager who thrives on new challenges and is passionate about guiding a team of self-driven, ambitious, and highly skilled software engineers to new heights. In this role, you will take charge of a team comprising 8 to 12 software engineers.
You will be collaborating closely with cross-functional teams and business stakeholders in optimising customer payment journey, payment integration with mainstream payment providers, and improvement and optimization of SCA (Strong Customer Authentication). You will spearhead the delivery of robust, scalable, and industry-leading payment solutions.
- Lead, mentor, and inspire a team of engineers, fostering their growth and development. Provide guidance, coaching, and support to help team members excel in their roles. Oversee the day-to-day team activities including managing Agile ceremonies including; team’s daily stand-ups, estimation and retrospectives sessions, backlog prioritization meetings and end of sprint showcase.
- Take ownership of the technical strategy and architecture for payment systems. Ensure that systems are robust, scalable, and meet THG’s PCI security standards.
- Tailor payment roadmap to ensure timely delivery of engineering commitment to the business and technical teams. Work collaboratively with payment stakeholders to deliver a roadmap that contributes to revenue uplift through increase in payment acceptance and conversion rate.
- Identify and mitigate resource and technical risks and challenges in payment platform. Proactively addressing resource issues by engaging with senior managers. Raise risks associated with project deliverables including; technical uncertainty and resource while encouraging team’s proactiveness in ensuring a successful project delivery.
- Experience in Enterprise Java (ideally 15 and above)
- Strong in backend experience in designing and building scalable, high throughput, low latency, high fault tolerance APIs. Has good understanding of microservice architecture.
- Good understanding of basic DevOps including CI/CD, application containerization using docker, Kubernetes deployment on cloud and colocation for large scale applications.
- Passionate in building best-in-class products, while having focus on engineering spend vs return investment.
- A good understanding of payment capture including standard and recurring with experience in optimisation of each payment capture type.
- A strong understanding of mainstream card schema, APM including BNPL, SCA, PCI DSS, basic FCA guidelines and mandates, payment processing landscape (including payment gateway, payment processor, acquirer and issuing bank).
- Pension scheme
- Enhanced maternity and paternity pay
- Continuous development through our in-house L&D team
- Work with cutting edge technology
- Staff discounts on THG brands and Hale Country Club
- On-site or virtual doctor
Because of the high volumes of applications our opportunities attract, it sometimes takes us time to review and consider them all. We endeavour to respond to every application we receive within 14 days. If you haven't heard from us within that time frame or should you have any specific questions about this or other applications for positions at THG please contact one of our Talent team to discuss further.
THG is committed to creating a diverse & inclusive environment and hence welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
Apply for this job