Director, Editorial | Biossance
Creative / Studios
San Francisco, CA (Hybrid)
THG is a fast-moving, global technology business that specialises in taking brands direct to consumers. Our world-class proprietary tech and infrastructure powers our extensive portfolio of beauty, nutrition and lifestyle brands and is now helping drive exponential growth of our clients’ brands globally.
We’re powered by a global team of over 7,000 ambitious people around the world. Our culture is fast-paced and entrepreneurial, it’s this DNA that has supported our incredible growth.
We’re always looking for individuals that can bring fresh and innovative thinking to THG, and play a part in driving the group forward on its exciting journey. So, if you’re ready to take the next big step in your career, challenge yourself every day and evolve with the world around you, THG is ready for you.
Role: Director, Editorial
Biossance was born when our scientists invented a skin-identical hydrating molecule—squalane—that’s made from sustainable fermented sugarcane. Creating the world’s most incredible and powerful moisturizer led to creating the world’s most powerful skincare formulas. We use first-of-its kind proprietary fermentation technology to biodesign new, high-performing ingredients. The incredible research and development teams in our labs are leading the way to a healthier planet with our exceptional clean chemistry.
The Editorial Director will support the Biossance business and marketing team through all things copy, messaging, and brand storytelling. You will maintain the unique brand voice and oversee its implementation across marketing channels, formulate omni-channel campaign concepts to support product launches and brand initiatives, manage and edit a team of copywriters, and produce best-in-class creative work for the brand’s global client base.
This role reports to the VP, Creative Director.
- Oversees marketing channels including email, ecommerce, paid media, video, visual merchandising, environmental graphics, mobile messaging, out of home, and social media.
- Executes high-level branding work including positioning, product/set naming, on-pack copy, and other evergreen elements.
- Enforces the brand voice, including how it flexes across marketing channels.
- Develops messaging for product launches, including client-facing marketing and campaigns.
- Names new product launches; formulates strategies for product naming and positioning/naming of new categories of products within the Biossance brand.
- Mentors and manages the work of other copywriters, acting as oversight to ensure all Biossance copy is effective and on-brand.
- Resources and delegates appropriately to ensure that work is performed in a timely and effective manner.
- Manages and edits the work of creative agency partners when necessary, briefing them on brand tone and ensuring their work meets business objectives.
- Acts as a creative leader to support all functions within the team, including digital and print design.
- Maintains Biossance Style Guide, including principles of brand voice as well as house style, and updates whenever necessary.
- 10+ years experience on a creative marketing team in the beauty, fashion, or luxury retail space; preferably in-house at an individual brand or retailer; at least 5 years should be in a management or leadership role.
- Track record as an effective people manager, with experience managing performance, coaching, delivering effective feedback, and resourcing.
- Superior copywriting abilities, with the strong desire to teach and mentor others to achieve the same. Exceptional ability to present work and gain alignment at all levels, including C-suite.
- Command of graphic design principles and the ability to approach work holistically.
- Business savvy; you are immersed in the competitive landscape and understand how creative work serves the larger purpose of the brand.
- Demonstrated ability as a cross-functional partner; willingness to work with partners at all levels across e-commerce, marketing, social media, product development, and project management in order to meet the needs of the business.
- Excellent command of legal principles affecting marketing such as trademark/copyright law, truth in advertising, FDA/FTC compliance, best practices of transactional law, and global regulatory compliance.
- Exceptional critical thinking skills and strategic mindset; you have an ability to formulate “big ideas” and see the bigger picture.
- Experience managing the work of agencies, vendors, and external partners.
- A positive attitude that sets an encouraging tone for the team, a collaborative spirit and a willingness to roll up sleeves when necessary to ensure that work gets done.
- Managerial courage—the willingness and ability to say what needs to be said; to address problems head-on and seek solutions.
- Commitment to process; you should believe that how work gets done is just as important as what gets done.
- Flexible approach; the ability to thrive in an environment with ambiguity, fast deadlines, and competing priorities.
- Salary: $160,000 - $185,000
- Medical, Dental, Vision plans
- 401K matched up to 5%
- Generous PTO (Paid Time Off)
- Short and long-term disability
- Summer Fridays
- Exclusive employee discounts off THG Brands
- Many more...
Because of the high volumes of applications our opportunities attract, it sometimes takes us time to review and consider them all. We endeavour to respond to every application we receive within 14 days. If you haven't heard from us within that time frame or should you have any specific questions about this or other applications for positions at THG please contact one of our Talent team to discuss further.
THG is committed to creating a diverse & inclusive environment and hence welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
Apply for this job